Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Simple Statement - yet Profound Truth


Finishing up VBS tomorrow . . . and as many of you are probably experiencing or will experience this summer - "Run - run ... run the race...set - set ... set the pace" or my personal favorite "go boy...go girl...all around the world - Let's talk about Jesus...let's talk about all the things He has done..." - you have the songs stuck in your head and find yourself wanting to dance. Ah, yes the theme this year has been "Game Day" - Hebrews 12:1 - with Christ as the ultimate focus.

Is it me, or are the dance moves - harder this year? Probably me - I seem to only begin to figure them out the last day and then still - yeah, look pretty awkard doing so - oh well - has been a blast. I am working with the special needs class again, this year - man, what a special time indeed. Friends ranging in age to various "disabilities" {from down syndrome - autism - as well as a variety of learning disablities} - I say this with hestiation - because the more I am with these special friends - I realize how we are "disabled" more ... with pride, insecurities, masks that we wear and struggle with. Not to say - these precious ones do not struggle either, but they teach us how to love - a love that is so unconditional and out of the box - and have a keen sense of God's love/presence in their lives. We have a had a blast signing, playing some heated games of duck-duck goose, on the playground - making arts/crafts - to some hilarious skits in costume - I will never take simple skits for granted again, they love these!

During one of the songs this week in the rally service, Nick {probably 7 or 8}, grabbed my hand and pulled me toward his mouth and whispered sweetly and gently "God made me". Random comment and timing to say the least. I was so taken back from this simple statement - yet profound truth. The irony in this, is that I shared with Jenna Sunday evening that I was not looking forward to VBS - when she asked me if I was excited. Rather, I felt sort of burdened with the commiment - yet knew I needed to be there and could NOT trust feelings - "do/obey anyway what you are supposed to and the feelings will follow" as I have heard time and time again. As I walked Wrigley later that night after Nick shared - I thought about how busy life seems to be sometimes - in between coaching seasons, work projects/deadlines - activities with people, on and on....desiring to be about ministry in these and while these are well in and of themselves - I was not made for these - I was made by God for God. For His pleasure - for His glory - to KNOW Him. Yet - I thought about the hours I waste watching TV - mainly sports or "projects"... now, in these items that ran through my mind I mentioned - God is certainly in and works through them - yet, I thought I am not enjoying Him as I should - the one "who made me"...Nick seem to understand this and walk in this. Amazing how, I didn't want to even be somewhere...yet went - found myself not focusing on ME {as I do so often}, and in the midst of loud music - wild dance movements - I couldn't keep up with...God drew near and spoke softly...yes, spoke to me through Nick..."I made you...for ME...know ME...love ME...obey ME".

VBS - for me was summed up in this moment. A simple statement - yet profound truth. Refreshed focus...Continuing to run the race - setting my eyes on Him {who created me and is the author/source of my faith}. "Go boy - go-go-go...let's talk about Jesus..."

1 comment:

Fran said...

Brent,

What a great testimony to VBS, this would certanly be an encouragment to enlist other VBS workers for next year. Children certanly are honest and can teach us so much if we just take the time to listen.