Friday, March 06, 2009

Good, Just Good


I have been meaning to update this since last week, but just couldn't find the right words to share. First, God really blessed us so much by allowing me on Tuesday evening to have a miscarriage at home. Although... I must confess that, giving birth to Carter and miscarrying this baby both HURT about the same amount!! (maybe a small exaggeration but not to far off). I never thought about getting an epidural before, but Tuesday night I was looking for the epidural man to come and give me some help!! (I was not able to find such a person in my house, so motrin, heat and lot's of prayer had to do!!) Although it was a great relief and Brent and I are both glad to be done with that part of this journey, I find myself nervous about getting pregnant again. There is nothing I want more than to be pregnant and have a sweet baby that looks just like my sweet husband and a little like me! But, this emotional pain that we are having to go through as well as just the fear of this happening again and again and again.... makes me question this whole process. Then I am reminded of how Good the Lord really is and that if we are supposed to have a sweet baby God will provide that. I have been reading and memorizing the verse from Psalms 37:4. If we delight in the Lord, He WILL give us the desires of our heart. This is our hearts desire and we feel called to have children. We are not ready to give up yet (although I am feeling like an elephant. Did you know they are pregnant for 23 months before they have their babies!!!) Although total I have only been pregnant for 8 months (almost 6 months the first time and 10 weeks this time) it still sort of feels like a year. In 2008 we found out that we were pregnant the first week of April. As we end this pregnancy in the first week of March our doctor says that we could be pregnant as soon as 4 to 6 weeks from now!! So we will be right back to the same dates that we were pregnant last year.


I say all of this to say: When I look and think about this situation with my human ears and my fleshly understanding of life, I think... This isn't fair. There are so many teenage girls who get pregnant that are not married, do drugs and could care less about having a child. Or how many times have I had to counsel a women who have had an abortion (I meet a lady once who had 5 abortions by the time she was a freshman in college!! Can you imagine.) BUT... I am reminded again about what fairness is in the eyes of the Lord. It isn't fair that God allows me to serve Him. It isn't fair that God would allow me to enter into His holy presence and live with Him for eternity! That is not fair. All of the challenges in life that we are experiencing, really are just more chance for us to praise the Lord in all times!


It brings me back to the blog that I talked about last month. When we enter into the storms in our lives, that is when we need to ask the Lord to teach us how to Dance in the Rain. I thought I knew how to dance. In fact I felt sure that I was dancing! But here I am, grabbing my dancing shoes again and getting my groove on ... again as I wait my turn. I am waiting for God to call me my name when it is SHOW TIME. It is amazing that God is always on time. Even when we don't realize what a bible study is all about, or a quote that someone shares with us or even a sermon that we may walk away from thinking how does that apply to me? It is usually a few days later that we look back and say, I got it! This is what that was for. The Angela Thomas Bible Study I took was just that for me. I thought my time of waiting was over (since I knew I was pregnant during that study), but here I am waiting again. I am determined this time to dance during this storm instead of jumping into the hole of darkness that seemed to surround me last fall. My turn WILL COME!! I AM SURE OF THAT!!! So I say it again.... LET'S DANCE!!

9 comments:

Jenibug7 said...

I am so proud of yall for your hearts and perspective. =)

Alisa said...

Your testimony is so inspiring. It seems most everyone is facing some sort of giant in their lives right now, from failed pregnancies to job losses. Your words are so encouraging and a great reminder to us all that God is in control and has a plan for our lives that we cannot see just yet. Thank you for helping to remind us all of that truth. I pray God's continued healing and grace be upon you and that He fills you with His peace as you walk through this valley.

Mary Lindsey said...

Your testimony is inspiring, Jenna! I was sooo glad to see that you had updated your blog! I look forward to seeing the plan that God has laid out for the Spears family. When Chris and I had been waiting and waiting to get pregnant, I had definitely dug a hole and decided to live in it. Beth Moore's book Get Out of That Pit was a huge turning point for me - like Angela's Bible study has been for you. Another huge but less "godly" encouragement to me was Carrie Underwood's song that goes...

Oh, I don't wanna' spend my life jaded
Waiting to wake up one day and find
That I've let all these years go by
Wasted

Oh I don't wanna' keep on wishing, missing
The still of the morning, the color of the night
I ain't spending no more time
Wasted

I felt like I had lived and breathed wanting a baby for so long that I didn't know how to "dance" anymore. I decided to start enjoying all the little things in life again, and it was like I was waking up. Every thing changed as I started living and believing that God had a plan for us. I enjoyed the simplest of things, and it was so wonderful! I believe that you are dancing again!!! My heart rejoices with you!!

Love you girl. Thank you for sharing and being transparent!

Jenibug7 said...

btw, since we are talking about dancing... whatever happened to b doing the souljaboy on your blog?

Tay's Mom said...

i just want you to know that, once again, you are inspiring. i can COMPLETELY relate to the "not fair" syndrome. i, too, fall further and further into that phase as every month passes with no pregnancy success. it's hard. so hard. and i thank you for dancing. and encouraging me to get on the dance floor with you. it seems that He had us planned as partners from the very beginning ;)

Nancy Schunke said...

Brent and Jenna,

We have been praying for you here in Lubbock and certainly know your heartache. We have pregnancy in our face so much here and yet we remain barren. Some days I just want to scream, wondering why Richard and I will never be able to have children.

I have been reading a book called "Hannah's Hope" and it is helping me to get my focus on things above while also having some hope for the future. I just worked a Kairos this weekend and was reminded of where my focus should be. If I want to be a mother, then focus on being a mother to those who need a mother now...whether it be for a minute, and hour, a week or longer. It can be as simple as giving a child a hug when they are sad or as big as adoption; just asking God "if you have given me the desire to be a parent, how can I stand in as a parent for somebody today?" This gives God a chance to work though me and perhaps one day surprise me with gift of a child of our own, or an even greater desire to continue to serve as I do now. God blessed me with a husband beyond my dreams with this attitude, so I am learning to trust Him with my desire for children as well.

Keeping you in prayer and I am again thinking about all of our children that were not able to live a life on earth who are now dancing in Heaven!

N Verdulla said...

Your words are so encouraging to me. It makes me think that even through the difficult times, I still need to continue to serve God no matter the situation. Thank you so much for sharing these things on your blog. I am praying for you.

Kerry Hasenbalg said...

Dear Jenna,

I think of you so very often, even though I have never met you. It is amazing how we are walking similar paths at similar times. When I read your blog post about how you had just found out your second baby had passed in your womb (after all you had gone through with your last loss), my heart broke for you. I was pregnant at the time I read your blog, but I hadn't told anyone except my husband. And I can remember thinking that this would be such a horrible suffering, to have a miscarriage after a stillbirth. I had asked the Lord several times if He could assure me that I would not loss another one after my stillbirth with Isabella. miscarrying after a still birth was the last thing I could imagine and something I wasn't sure I could survive well. But all He would minister to me was that His grace would be sufficient. So, that was my prayer for you beginning the day I read about your recent loss - sufficient grace. When I was in the hospital two weeks ago being told that my baby too no longer had a heartbeat at ten weeks, I actually thought of you. What a true example of the fellowship of the suffering. I am still waiting to miscarry, but your testimony does bless me about how God has seen you through. I am so sorry that it hurt so much. I remember how my first miscarriage at 14 weeks felt an awful lot like labor. I pray it isn't so horrible this time, but if it is I am sure His grace will be sufficient - right?! I will keep praying for you Jenna and I am so sorry. May He fill your house with amazing children in HIs time and strengthen every relationship you now have! Tender Mercies, Kerry Hasenbalg

Kerry Hasenbalg said...

hey friend, was your uterus sore afterwards and if so, for how long? Ker