Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Our Uncle Bob

One thing I remember growing up, was that most people have an "Uncle Bob" in their family! But none had an Uncle Bob like we had. In fact, soon after Brent and I got married, we went out to CA to see my Uncle Bob, at which time, Brent immediately loved my Uncle Bob like the rest of our family. My Uncle Bob was the twin brother of my dad's mom and the family patriarch. But still you ask, so what's the big deal with my Uncle? Well, he lived his life to the fullest. Uncle Bob was a scenic artist. If you have ever had the opportunity to enjoy the ride at any Disney around the world, and rode "It's a Small World" you have experienced the art of my Uncle Bob. His work goes way beyond Disney. In fact he worked on movies with Elvis and Michael Douglas to name a few. He also did work at Hershey Park, Knotts Berry Farm and several others places. In November 2004, my uncle passed away after a very short battle with Leukemia. He was 84. Brent had the honor of officiating his memorial service later that Spring in Mass. One of our favorite family traditions, for those of us who were married before Uncle Bob passed, was that we got a painting as a wedding present from him. Our painting hangs above our bed. It is a simple, yet incredible picture of a small church in New England. Not that we could ever forget our Uncle Bob, but having a piece of his legacy in our home, helps us remember him daily. You would think that would be enough for us to keep his memory alive. But, soon after his death, Brent decided that the first dog we got together, he wanted to name it Wrigley. The name is after Uncle Bob's favorite baseball team, the Cubs!! Our furry bundle of energy name is so fitting for many reasons, but one is because Uncle Bob played golf with his four some friends until close to the end of his time here on earth. He lived his life to the fullest.

I decided to blog about him today, because I came across the website my cousins put together displaying his art work. I know for sure there will be an art gallery this summer in Mass to honor his work. But, like I said, you don't need to go to far to remember my Uncle Bob, just the next time you go to Disney, ride It's a Small World. As you admire the beautiful scene you will have a new memory of the man behind the "scene." Our Uncle Bob!



April 26, 1920- November 1, 2004

1 comment:

Jenna's Dad said...

Excellent blog Jenna. We all still miss him. ly...Dad